Having a hard time falling asleep? The following pointers can help you get the most from your nightly repose. It all begins with setting a definite routine that aids in achieving the best quality sleep at night.
It is not easy to stick to a regular routine when heading to bed and for many this is not a problem. But, for those suffering the effects of insomnia, irregular sleeping habits can make it harder to get sleep.
Of course, the routine you choose will depend largely on what works best for you. The most important thing will be to recognize what is working for you and sticking to a healthy plan each day. Here is what you need to know.
1. Go to Bed at the same time each day
The most important thing will be getting to bed at a good time each day. This will help to program the brain into a habit of falling asleep and getting up at the right time. Most adults require between 7 and 8 hours of sleep each night.
It will be essential that you work out a plan to repeat the cycle each day. You may be tempted to change the routine if you feel your sleep is not adequate, but in the long term making these adjustments will detract from your healthy sleep each night.
2. Make sure you wind down
It will be important to practice winding down and relaxing before bed. This can be accomplished in a number of ways.
– A warm bath – not too hot, but a warm bath helps the muscles of the body to fully relax and this is ideal for a good rest.
– To Do Lists – you will have a hard time relaxing if your head is full of the things you will have to do the next day. Clear your mind by making lists and notes before you try to begin relaxing.
– Relaxation exercises – light yoga and other soothing exercises help to relax the body and release energy. Avoid vigorous exercise right before you fall asleep.
– Relaxation CDs – there are audio tracks and videos that contain a soothing voice, narrated story or other relaxing sounds that can help place the body in a relaxed state.
– Reading a book – this is a great way to captivate the mind and place it in the mood for imagination and relaxation. Choose something not too emotionally exciting.
– Music – turn on the radio or play your favorite soothing album
– Apps – there are many apps that can benefit sleeping habits.
– Avoid using computers, TV, mobile devices and other electronics right before bed. These can detract from feelings of relaxation
3. Get Comfortable
The most important part of a great night’s sleep is the bed. Invest in a King Koil mattress and choose some luxury pillows and bedding to help you drift off into a deep sleep.